Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 cup peeled shrimp (, 1/2 pound)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons bacon grease
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4-1 cup hot water or 3⁄4-1 cup stock (shrimp, chicken, or vegetable)
- hot, cooked grits (, , salted and buttered)
- Prepare grits according to package directions.
- Add salt and butter to taste.
- Set aside, but keep warm.
- While the grits are cooking, start the shrimp.
- In a bowl, sprinkle the shrimp with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne and set aside.
- Heat the bacon grease in a skillet and saute the onion and pepper over medium heat until the onion begins to become transparent, about 10 min.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir constantly for about 2 min, until the flour begins to brown.
- Add the shrimp and about 3/4 c of water or stock, stirring constantly and turning the shrimp so that they cook evenly.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through and the gravy is uniformly smooth, thinning with a little extra water or stock if necessary.
- Serve immediately over the grits.
- (Reheat grits if necessary so they are hot).
This was good. I think maybe adding the bacon to it would have been good. Don't forget to season your grits!
Absolutely smashing recipe.
Love this! I use it with smoked gouda cheese grits. I also added andouille sausage and a little bit of white wine. :) Delish! Thank you!