Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bucatini pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 -6 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves finely chopped
- 5 -6 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves finely chopped
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer (such as Negro Modelo)
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 4 -5 cups arugula, stemmed and chopped
- Bring a big covered pot of water to a boil; salt it and add the pasta; cook to al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat with the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add in the bacon; cook about 5 minutes, until crisp.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon; drain off a little of the fat, keeping a thin layer in the pan; then add the garlic, vegetables, and herbs.
- Season them with salt and pepper; cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in the flour; cook for 2 more minutes, then stir in the Worcestershire, hot sauce, and beer.
- Reduce the liquid by half, then add the tomatoes and bring it up to a bubble.
- When the tomatoes are simmering, add in the shrimp; cook them for 5 minutes or until they are just pink and firm.
- Drain the pasta; toss it with the shrimp and sauce; adjust the seasonings.
- Transfer to a large platter; top with chopped arugula.