Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Absolutely the MOST requested recipe that I make! It is cool, refreshing, unusual and delicious.... all qualities that you want in a contribution for a summer potluck dinner or office party. The ladies of the Silver Palate in NYC (Sheila Lukins and Julee Rosso) are the geniuses behind this deceptively simple salad.
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, deveined and steamed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise (preferably Hellmann's)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill, chopped (or to taste)
- 2 cups green seedless grapes, washed and patted dry (get firm ones that POP in your mouth)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- lettuce leaf
- Shrimp can also be boiled, but tend to lose some flavor to the water that way. Peel and transfer shrimp to a large bowl to cool.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk the sour cream, mayonnaise and dill together well.
- Pour the dressing over the shrimp and toss gently. Add the grapes and salt and pepper to taste, then toss once more and refrigerate, covered, for at least four hours. DO NOT SKIP THE REFRIGERATION STEP; THE SHRIMP NEED TO ABSORB THE DRESSING!
- Just before serving, taste and correct the seasoning, then toss again. Arrange on a platter of lettuce leaves and serve immediately. Serves 6 portions as a main course; 8 portions as a first course.
This really is delicious! The flavors are wonderful!
Wow!!! This recipe sounded good but tasted soooo much better... I made it for Christmas Day and my guests were very impressed... I used cooked shrimp (which I am sure made no difference to the taste). It was very refreshing on such a hot day...The different textures work really well together... I will make this for several dinner parties as I like receiving compliments. Thanks for the recipe.