Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
Eggplant dressing is very popular in South Louisiana. Add shrimp to it and it becomes even more popular.
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefresh hot pork sausage, removed from casing
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- black pepper
- red pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the eggplant with enough water to cover in a large saucepan.
- Add salt and bring to a boil, boiling 20 minutes.
- Drain well and cut into bite size pieces.
- Set aside.
- Cook the sausage in a skillet, stirring until crumbly.
- Remove sausage from skillet and reserve 2 Tbsp drippings.
- Melt butter in skillet with drippings.
- Add shrimp, bell pepper, garlic, celery, and onions.
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked eggplant and sausage and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice and bread crumbs mixing well.
- If mixture is too dry add the chicken stock.
- Spoon the eggplant into a 3 quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake an additional 5 minutes.