Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This fried rice is a favorite of Hubby's and also was well-received by guests. It's easy to whip up quickly if you need to. I try to use the minimal amount of meat needed to give it good flavor to the whole dish when I make it just for the two of us. You may want to increase to 1/2 lb shrimp if serving to guests. Hubby actually prefers this using 1/2 lb pork in place of the shrimp, but this is healthier. Sometimes I sub fake crab for the shrimp. It ends up a little sweeter but still good. Scallops are also a delicious option.
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄3 lb medium shrimp
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1⁄2 cup bean sprouts (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, shreds (optional)
- 1 diced red pepper (optional)
- If using frozen shrimp, defrost under cold running water, then clean, de-vein, and remove tails of shrimp. If using cooked shrimp or crab, add it when the veggies are almost done.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in wok on medium high heat. When oil is hot, add shrimp and stir-fry until pink. Then remove them from wok.
- Add garlic and white onion to wok, and after they are soft add the other veggies. You can really use just about any veggie with this.
- When veggies are mostly done, move them to the sides of the wok, creating a hole of bare pan on the bottom. Pour in beaten egg. Let it scramble a bit and break it into smaller pieces.
- Add rice to the wok, and return shrimp to the wok. Add the green onions, and the five spice powder and soy sauce to taste. Add 1 tablespoon more oil to the rice. Stir to fry the rice and combine the seasonings. Add vegetable oil if you need more oil.
I used everything except the mushrooms and optional items and I didn't use the five spice because I didnt have any, and I added water chestnuts.
Very flavorful rice! I loved the shrimp, onions, and mushrooms in this. I reduced the 5-spice powder to 1 tablespoon and I think I'll reduce it even more next time. This is a great use of leftover rice! Thanks for sharing your recipe Panthur!
This was very tasty! For the optional vegetables I used diced red pepper, green onion and some sliced water chestnuts.