Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe was in the April 2010 Coastal Living Magazine. Created by Chef Jeff Tunks, Passionfish in Reston, VA. "I love the classic mixture of tortilla chips, melted cheese, and pickled jalapenos; adding shrimp and crabmeat just takes it to a new level."
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 -3 teaspoons ground cumin, toasted
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat, cleaned and picked
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1 (9 ounce) bag corn tortilla chips (yellow, white or blue)
- 3 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, sliced
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp, cumin, and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
- Combine cooked shrimp, crab, sour cream, and onion in a large bowl.
- Spread tortilla chips on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Top with shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, and top with jalapeno.
- Broil 5 to 6 inches from heat 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Me and my sister made this DECILIOUS dish last night and LOVED it! I will say i didnt care for the cumin tase. Kinda over powered the other ingredients. 1 tsp of olive oil didnt seem like enough so we added a little more and next time we'll add less of the cumin and more garlic as i couldnt even taste it. We only made half our batch and will be eating the rest today for lunch. We added black olives too. This is a great snack to make for the whole family!!!
Both my husband and I felt that this dish was really lacking in something; it was a little too bland for our taste. There was just no tang or depth to it, except for the pickled jalapenos, which kind of save the dish. Next time, I may add a different seasoning to the seafood mix, perhaps add a bit of cream cheese, and consider chopped red peppers on top to add flavour.
Liked this a lot but will only use shrimp next time. Made half a recipe and was very good for the two of us.