Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Cooking Light.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped green bell peppers (about 1 large)
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fat-free low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen cut okra, thawed
- 1 lb peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 (6 ounce) cans lump crabmeat, drained (such as Chicken of the Sea)
- 3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Place flour in a small skillet; cook 5 minutes over medium heat or until flour is brown, stirring constantly. Place in a small bowl; cool.
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; sauté 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Add water, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Combine toasted flour and 1 can of chicken broth in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually pour broth mixture into pan. Stir in remaining can of chicken broth, Cajun seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, crushed red pepper, and cut okra; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done. Gently stir in crabmeat. Remove from heat; serve gumbo over rice. Serve with hot pepper sauce, if desired.
Delicious. I was skeptical of a gumbo with no roux, but this worked perfectly. I too added the can of tomatoes, and because I'm a gumbo purist, I added about 1 tsp of file powder at the end. I left out the pepper flakes so my kids would eat it, but I added plenty of hot sauce to my own bowl. It really was superb. I will make this one again!
Very tasty and satisfying. Left off the rice to reduce the carbs, but otherwise just halved for DH and me. Great flavors. Thanks for posting.
delicious! i added a can of diced tomato too and a little bit of extra crushed red pepper and it was PERFECT. this is the way gumbo should taste.