Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is one of my favorite sandwiches, just a light sandwich. I serve this open faced or you can make this panini style, either or, with a big bowl of soup.
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut in thin slices toasted with just a drizzle of olive oil
- 8 ounces shrimp, diced fine (canned will work, but fresh is much better)
- 1 teaspoon butter (to saute shrimp)
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces crabmeat (lump or claw is fine, canned will work too)
- 3 scallions, chopped fine green only
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saute pan, add the butter and heat to medium heat. Saute the shrimp and garlic until done. It will take just a minute or two.
- Remove shrimp to cool.
- Now in a medium size bowl, add the shrimp with the cream cheese (room temp), brandy, Worcestershire, hot sauce, seasoning, and fresh dill and mix will. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for several hours. (2 or more to get all the flavors mixed).
- Toast the bread (I like a little olive oil drizzled on it). Golden brown. Just takes 2 minutes per side in a 425F oven.
- Lightly toss the shrimp mix with the crab and scallions and spread on the warm bread.
- That just as an open face sandwich is just perfect to me. A nice bowl of soup and can't get much better.
- Or just just put on a hot griddle, grill or saute pan for just 2-3 minutes to heat up and press down and just as good. Either way, it is a great sandwich.
Hello SarasotaCook, these were awesome! We did make a few slight changes to suit our needs. We used onion & chive cream cheese (because welike a lot of onions), 4-5 scallions & crushed red pepper flakes that we put in the cream cheese mixture to which we added the shrimp & crab & scallions all together to marry in the refrigerator. After an hour or two we removed it and made the sandwich open faced and with sliced & seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice salt & pepper avocado on the side. Thanks so much for posting - the dish is delicous & I can't wait to have it again. Manami :)