Recipe by Felix4067
For me, this is the ultimate in comfort food. Rich and creamy, cheesy, and seafood all in one dish...how do you lose? I've been known to add a LOT more cheese if I'm in the mood, or toss in some Cajun seasoning to spice it up a bit. Prep time includes stove-top cooking time, cooking time is just the baking time.
Top Review by mums the word
Oh my goodness, this is very rich but really quite good. I added a bit of garlic powder and chives. Served with a side of recipe #288166. I will make this again, as my husband really enjoyed it. Thx Felix!
- 1⁄2 cup butter (must be real butter, no margarine)
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped fine
- 1 cup white onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces crabmeat, cooked and flaked
- 12 ounces shrimp, cooked, shelled, and deveined
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (use real cheese, not the pre-shredded stuff)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in medium frying pan.
- Add onions and celery and saute until soft.
- Meahwhile, in a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolks with salt and red pepper flakes and set aside.
- Add flour to pan, and mix well.
- Immediately add evaporated milk gradually, stirring constantly to thin flour mixture.
- Add regular milk, stirring constantly, until completely incorporated.
- Add egg yolk mixture, mix well, and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; add the crab and shrimp and mix well.
- Add 8 oz. of the cheese and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a well-greased 3-quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake uncovered at 375F for 15 minutes, until cheese melts.