Recipe by jucie1962
Got this recipe from our local newspaper.
Top Review by Pandora Spocks
I got this recipe off Allrecipes.com ("My Favorite Soup") and found it here to see how my fellow Zaars' had rated it. Low and behold, I'm the first! The recipes have virtually the same ingredient list, although the cooking instructions are a tad different. Either way, I'm sure the taste is the same, which is FAB-U-LOUS! My husband gave it a 10 and said it was the best soup he's had in a while! Yes it's really rich and fattening, but oh so good. I used full-lead butter, but the lower fat neufchatel cheese to cut out a little of the calories. I also used a 15.25 oz can of sweet corn, undrained, which isn't specified one way or the other in the recipe. I ended up using 1 1/2 cups of 1% milk to get the perfect consistency for our tastes. I wanted to taste the recipe as listed so I didn't add any seasonings until after it was in the bowl. We like a little more flavor so I would say adding some hot red pepper flakes a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper really took it over the top. This is one of those dishes you can't make too often 'cause it's not the healthiest thing you'll ever eat, but the flavor is company-worthy fantastic so we will be treating ourselves to this awesome soup as often as our waist lines will allow. Thanks for posting!
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of potato soup
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole corn
- 1 cup green onion
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut shrimp into pieces.
- Saute green onions in butter.
- Blend softened cream cheese with a little warm milk and add to onion mixture.
- Add potato soup (rinse cans with same amount of milk).
- Stir all together until well blended.
- Add shrimp and corn and bring to a slight boil.
- Lower and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add more milk if needed to be the consistency of chowder.
- Season to taste and enjoy!