Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cross between a Jambalya and Shrimp Risotto
Make and share this Shrimp and Chorizo Risotto recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread (soaked in a little of the broth)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chorizo sausage, link sliced julienne
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 5 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable, or shrimp, or with clam juice)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (or 2 tsp. dried)
- 1. Put saffron in small dish, pour a half cup chicken stock over it and set aside.
- 2. Heat one tablespoon oil in large skillet to very hot, add shrimp and stir. Sprinkle with paprika and stir-fry just until shrimp begin to brown but are not fully cooked, 2-4 minutes. Season with cayenne pepper and remove from heat.
- 3. Add butter and remaining oil and reheat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, working up anything stuck to the skillet, 5-6 minutes. Add the chorizo, saute a couple of minutes more, then stir in cumin and rice. Saute, stirring, until the rice turns opaque, 5-6 minutes. Stir in the saffron mixture and wine. Cook, stirring with wooden spoon over medium heat, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- 4. Add about 1/2 cup of the hot broth to the rice, stirring constantly until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding the remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until each addition is absorbed before adding more. Continue until the rice is tender, about 35 to 45 minutes. The rice should have a creamy consistency. Add the reserved shrimp, parmesan, parsley and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve at once.