From Joyce Goldstein's "The Mediterranean Kitchen", 1989.Substitute cooked lobster or crab for the shrimp, or just use the dressing on a plain avocado salad. Another type of cucumber can be used, but should be peeled first.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 ripe garden tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1 small white onion, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3 small japanese cucumbers, cut into chunks (or 1 English cucumber)
- 1/2 cup finely diced red and green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red onions
- 1/2 cup fruity olive oil
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or a combination of sherry and red wine vinegars)
- salt, pepper
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 avocados
- 1Heat just enough wine to cover the shrimp o simmering in a saute pan. Add the shrimp, cover, and gently simmer until cooked through, 2-4 minutes, depending upon the size of the shrimp. Drain and chill the shrimp .
- 2Puree about 1/3 the tomatoes in a food processor and pour into a mixing bowl. Pulse the remaining tomatoes so they are chunky. Add the tomato chunks to the puree.
- 3Add the white onion and garlic to the processor and process until completely liquified, adding a little of the vinegar if necessary. Add to the tomatoes.
- 4Pulse the cucumbers in the processor until finely chopped and add to the tomato mixture. Add the diced bell peppers, red onion, olive oil, and vinegar to the tomato mixture. Stir well but gently, adjust seasonings. Refrigerate the vinaigrette for 1 to 24 hours.
- 5To serve, make a bed of greens on each of four salad plates. Pit and peel the avocados and cut into chunks. Add the avocado and shrimp to the greens. Ladle a generous amount of gazpacho vinaigrette over each salad and serve at once with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Summer Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Summer Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp and Avocado Salad With Gazpacho Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.6
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed salad greens