Prep 55 mins
Cook 18 mins
A modification of Food Network's Shrimp and Asparagus Risotto casserole.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 cups homemade shrimp stock (or canned chicken or vegetable broth or stock)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄4 teaspoon plus a pinch fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons creole seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 bunch medium asparagus, tips trimmed and blanched 1 minute, cut stems into 1 inch pieces and reserve
- In small saucepan heat stock.
- In blender add asparagus stems and 1 cup of hot broth/stock and blend until smooth.
- Return mixture to stock/broth pot.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter and 2 tablespoons of the extra-virgin olive oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepan until the butter is foamy.
- Add the Arborio rice and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is well-coated and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the wine and cook until it evaporates.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 cups of the hot stock and season lightly with salt.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the broth has been absorbed.
- Continue to cook, adding more broth, 1/2 cup at a time as it is absorbed, until the rice is al dente, 16 to 18 minutes total cooking time.
- NOTE: If you use all of the stock before the rice is al dente, add a bit of hot water as needed.
- Add the chives, marjoram, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper.
- Add asparagus tips.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Cover and set aside while you prepare the shrimp.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet until very hot.
- In a small bowl combine the shrimp with the creole seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon salt and toss to thoroughly distribute seasonings.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the pan and, when foamy, add the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink and lightly golden on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp and any accumulated juices to the risotto and stir.
- Add 1 cup Parmesan cheese and stir.
- Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.