Recipe by Ms B.
This is one of my favorite spring-time dishes. However, with the availability of frozen asparagus, it can be modified to enjoy year round. Editted to add: After receiving the first review of this recipe, I realized that I hadn't mentioned that we usually top this with fresh grated parmesan cheese. Yum! Hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb tub-shaped pasta, such as ziti or penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut in 2 inch lengths
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and boil vigorously for the time recommended on the pasta package or until the pasta is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the tablespoon of oil and the butter in a medium skillet until the butter melts.
- Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and cook until it loses its raw look, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the pasta water, raise the heat to medium-high, and boil until the aspargus turns bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, dill and shrimp.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the additional olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and toss in a serving bowl with the shrimp and asparagus.