Prep 45 mins
Cook 14 mins
From Cooking Light. Per 1 cup serving: 381 calories, 7.9 g fat, 41.1 g protein, 36.3 g carb, 2.6 g fiber, 273 mg cholesterol.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped peeled granny smith apple
- 3⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 2⁄3 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 (15 3/4 ounce) fat free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in apple and the next 3 ingredients; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Stir in flour and curry powder; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in milk, raisins, and broth, stirring constantly using a whisk.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in shrimp, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done.
Had this tonight for dinner, and it will be a regular meal in my house! I followed the recipe with the following exceptions -- used a can of coconut milk in place of the low-fat milk, increased the curry powder to 2 tablespoons, increased raisins to 3/4 of a cup (to finish off the bag), and increase the salt to 1/2 teaspoon total. I served it over brown rice with steamed asparagus on the side. The sauce was velvety and well-seasoned -- I think it would be delicious as a dipping sauce on it's own. Thanks for posting!
this was delicious! i used a granny smith apple and added some thai basil from my garden. i also added a pinch of turbinado sugar to tame the bite from the hot curry powder. served this over basmati rice, this was a quick, easy dinner.