Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
Can serve in a puffed pastry shell, a hollowed out bread bowl or over rice.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lb white button mushrooms, quartered
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- In a skillet, let 2 tablespoons butter melt over medium heat.
- Add shrimp and saute 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until pink and firm.
- Transfer shrimp to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet on medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until they give off their juices and the pan is almost dry.
- Transfer the mushrooms to the bowl with the shrimp.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter to the skillet over medium heat and let butter melt.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Lower heat and continue whisking for 2 minutes but don't let flour brown.
- While whisking, slowly pour in milk; cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly, or until sauce is thick.
- Add in Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, salt, and pepper; continue to whisk constantly and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetables, shrimp, and mushrooms; stir to combine and cook until heated through.
- Serve immediately.
This made a nice dinner and had an attractive presentation but it needed a little garlic perhaps? I will try it again.
This tasted really nice. I used Peri-Peri sauce instead of Tobasco. I also added 4 cloves of garlic. Haven't made a roux in years. Much better than thickening with cornflour.