Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These Small delicate cakes(Shortbread cookies)flavored with rosewater and nutmeg are from an original receipt from Sallets, Humbles, and Shrewsbury Cakes. Legend has it these are the very cakes that Guinevere made to win King Arthur's heart. So, if your looking for something sweet to win your hearts desire, try these!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a standard Mixing bowl, Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the rosewater and blend thoroughly.
- Sift together the 2 cups of flour, nutmeg, and salt and stir into the butter until the dough holds together.
- With your hands, gently knead in enough of the additional flour to make a smooth ball.
- of soft dough.
- Roll out on a floured board to the thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Cut large round cookies with a glass or cookie cutter.
- Place the cookies on a greased sheet or one lined with parchment paper and bake in a 300° F oven for approximately 15 minutes, or just until done; they must be white, not brown.
- Remove the cakes to a rack to cool.
Why no eggs in the modern version? The original has eggs. I wished I'd noticed the omission before I made these up. I'll let you know how they turn out ....but I would rather keep the eggs for authenticity. Strange.