Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An alternative way to serve this delicious Dixiana dish is with freshly cooked hominy grits. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Preparation time approximate.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups crabmeat
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, grated
- lemon wedge, for garnish
- Melt butter; add crab, salt and pepper and cook five minutes without browning.
- Mix cream or evaporated milk with egg yolks; add hot crab meat and cook four minutes over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour into individual ramekins or a large casserole.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and bake at 350F until cheese is melted.
- Serve at once with lemon.
James Beard recommends making this in a double boiler with light cream.Pronounced crab flavor.