Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Hot and delicious any time, but wonderful for breakfast. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425F and grease muffin pan (or use cupcake liners).
- Sift corn meal and salt together; pour boiling water over the top and stir rapidly.
- Ad milk quickly to prevent lumping.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Stir in baking powder and butter.
- Fill prepared muffin pans 2/3 full and bake approximately 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven, split immediately and insert a generous piece of butter.