Recipe by Chef*Lee
I made up this soup and named it after Shrek because it's chunky, has lots of green and is a little sweet and spicy! Please try to use the fire-roasted tomatoes and fresh spinach, they give such great flavor. They carry the Muir Glen brand at Whole Foods and Wal-Mart Supercenter. I hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by Boiler77
Overall it was pretty good for a vegtable soup. It didnt say where to add the ginger in so i just added it in the end. I also substituted a jalapeno for half a habanero since my grocery store was out of jalapenos at the time and i love habaneros. I used plain diced tomatoes since i couldnt find the ones called for and added some galic powder at the end. Very tasty, but a bit salty.
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 5 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (25 ounce) jar unsweetened applesauce
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained (I like Muir Glen brand)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled & finely minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach (6 oz bag)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large soup pot.
- Saute onions and jalapeno in butter.
- Add your broth and turn down to med. heat to a simmer.
- Add carrots, celery, and applesauce.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender.
- In a medium bowl; mix together yogurt, ginger, chickpeas, tomatoes, lime juice, Lawry's, and vinegar. Stir well.
- After the 30 minutes are up, add your yogurt mix and spinach to the soup. Stir very well and bring back up to a boil.
- Cook for 10 more minutes, remove from heat and serve.