These meatballs are hearty and juicy. The sweet sauce adds flavors sure to inspire thoughts of New England in the fall.
- 12 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup diced plum tomato
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 lb ground chuck
- 1⁄4 lb ground veal
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup chopped spinach
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sauce: Combine tomato sauce, dry sherry, diced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, cinnamon, clove, brown sugar, oregano, and basil in a sauce pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce to medium low and allow to continue simmering for 30 minutes.
- Meatballs: combine meats, bread crumbs, crumbled mushrooms, spinach, Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and egg in a mixing bowl.
- Mix with hands until well blended. (More bread crumbs may be added if mixture is too thin).
- Form 2-inch balls and place in an ungreased baking dish.
- Bake at 375 for 12 minutes.
- Turn and continue to bake for an additional 12 minutes.
- Pour sauce over meatballs and sprinkle shredded mozzarella over the top.
- Broil on high for 7-10 minutes (until cheese starts to brown).