Prep 3 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Marie used to make this bread almost every Saturday. It smells heavenly coming out of the oven. A bread well worth the effort.
- 4 cups boiling water
- 4 large shredded wheat biscuits, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lard
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 packages dry yeast (mixed with water below)
- 1⁄4 cup water (110 degrees F)
- 10 cups sifted all-purpose flour (approx)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, pour the boiling water over the shredded wheat biscuits.
- Stir in salt, shortening and molasses.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add this to the lukewarm shredded wheat mixture.
- Stir in the flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured board Knead until supple, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl.
- Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- Deflate the dough and let rise again until doubled.
- Turn it out onto a lightly floured board.
- Divide dough into four equal pieces and form into loaves.
- Place the loaves into 4 lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- Brush tops of loaves with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 F and bake 30-40 min.
- until bottom of loaves sound hollow when tapped.