Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is very similiar to oatmeal bread. Very tasty!
- 1⁄2 fresh yeast cake
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 shredded wheat cereal
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons shortening, melted
- flour (enough to make stiff)
- raisins, if desired
- Combine yeast cake, water and sugar, set aside.
- Combine shredded wheat and 1 cup hot water, set aside.
- Mix remaining ingredients and the set aside ingredients with mixer until smooth.
- Let rise until double and shape into rolls or bread, put into greased pans and raise again.
- Bake at 325 for 25 to 35 minutes.
This is the same bread my mother has been making for the last 50 years. I was going to post it myself and then saw your recipe! Great bread and easy to make. Thanks for posting.