Recipe by mommyoffour
This recipe intrigued me. I couldn't imagine bread made with shredded wheat. As it turns out, its very good. I ususally make it a couple of times in a row to use up the shredded wheat biscuits and we gobble it up. Be sure to allow time to rise overnight.
- 2 shredded wheat biscuits
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 pint boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cake yeast
- 6 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine shredded wheat, shortening, molasses and salt; add boiling water.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water; add to mixture.
- Beat in flour with knife.
- Let rise overnight; cut down with knife.
- Do not knead.
- Put in 2 greased loaf pans and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake 45 minutes or until springs back when pressed, watch carefully, in 350 oven.
- Brush with butter three minutes before taking from oven.
- Remove from pans at once after removing from oven and let cool on rack.