Recipe by Chef MB
Don't know where this came from, but I've always had a lot of fun playing around with this recipe. It's a great way to use up bits and pieces of fruits or vegetables that you don't know what else to do with.
Top Review by Inepticurian
Great, flexible recipe. Can easily mix-n-match veggies/fruits, as long as all are finely shredded (okay that's what works best with the kids, who love this bread). I find it a bit too sweet for my own tastes with the 1/2 cup sugar plus fruit juice, and I find that it is just as appealing to the kids with 1/4 cup sugar, no fruit juice, and 1/4 cup apple sauce in place of the oil. Very moist!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup fruit juice or 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 cups shredded fruit or 3 cups vegetables
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: The shredded fruits or veg can be carrots, zucchini, apples, squash, pears--you're pretty much only limited by your imagination. You can use a mashed banana for part of the three cups, too.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon in large bowl.
- Combine juice or milk, eggs, oil and sugar in med bowl. Add wet to dry ingredients.
- Stir just till moistened.
- Fold in shredded veggies.
- Pour into greased 9" loaf pan. Bake 55-65 minute.