Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mom came across this recipe and made it about 15-20 years ago. We've been making it ever since. It's a simple and good salad.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan of boiling water, add garlic and boil for 10 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, mash garlic and salt into a paste and whisk in mustard and vinegar.
- Add oil in a stream, still whisking.
- Add romain and toss.
- Top with pine nuts, parmesan, and freshly ground black pepper.
I was ready to love this salad. It was easy to make but I found it bitter. Don't know why.
This was a nice quick salad. I as out of ALL nuts, so I ended up using a little seedless cucumber and sliced scallions for the missing "crunch". I loved the all prep in one bowl of dressing and salad. A definite PLUS!! It is garlicy, so if anyone is a little squeamish you may want to avoid this one.
This was WONDERFUL! Probably my favorite vinaigrette now. I'm a HUGE garlic lover so I upped the garlic to 8 cloves and increased the salt a tad to offset the amount of garlic. I never got around to toasting my pine nuts and I used a kalamata olive oil from Trader Joe's for my olive oil. SUPER RICH and delicious! Very flavor packed. This will be my new "go to" every day dressing. We LOVED this one. Thank you so much for sharing this gem!