This is a zesty and garlicky salad that our family loves. It is adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks - Ellen Helman's "The Uncommon Gourmet". Ellen suggests garnishing the salad with toasted pine nuts. We like it plain but will occasionally add such garnishes as chopped tomato, croutons or diced cucumber...whatever we're in the mood for.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, washed, dried and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted (optional)
- 1Place the shredded romaine in a salad bowl.
- 2In a separate small bowl, combine the garlic, mustard, salt, pepper, and vinegar.
- 3Whisk in the oil until completely incorporated.
- 4Stir in the Parmesan.
- 5Pour the dressing over the romaine; toss to mix.
- 6Garnish with toasted pine nuts (or other toppings of your choice - chopped tomatoes, croutons, diced cucumbers, etc.).
- 7Serve at once.
- 8(Leftovers will wilt - only toss as much as you will eat at any meal).
Browse Our Top < 15 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shredded Romaine Salad
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.4
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 61.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar