Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Posting this recipe for safekeeping. The recipe is from Erica - My Colombian Recipe (blogger). I recently ordered yucca frita with a jalapeno cilantro sauce at a local Cuban restaurant. The sauce was amazing and since the restaurant did not want to offer up the recipe, I figured I would try to hunt for a better or like recipe. I am thinking that Erica's recipe is pretty close - hopefully I will get to making it later this year. Full recipe sounds tasty too. If you try it before me, please share your thoughts here and on Erica's website - http://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/ - Per Erika, this is a Mexican recipe, not a Colombian recipe.
- 4 lbs pork shoulder
- 3 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 garlic cloves
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
Jalapeno Cilantro Sauce
- 1 cup creme fraiche (or crema fresca)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup cilantro, fresh
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- corn tortilla
- 1 cup cabbage, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup queso fresco
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- cilantro, fresh
- Purée the onions, garlic, red bell pepper, ground cumin, chile powder in a blender until smooth.
- Put the pork in the slow cooker. Add the onion mixture, then cover and cook on high for 6 to 7 hours. The meat should be fork-tender and falling apart.
- Remove the meat and place in a large bowl to cool. When the meat is cool enough, shred it with your fingers.
- Make the salsa and assemble the tacos.
- In a blender, mix the jalapeño, cilantro, crema fresca, mayonnaise, cumin, salt, pepper and the lime juice.
- Divide the pork and cabbage evenly among the tortillas. Drizzle with the jalapeño sauce and top with the sliced red onion.
- Garnish with the cilantro and queso fresco and serve immediately.