Recipe by Sue Lau
Makes really delicious tacos. You can make this into shredded beef too, just use a beef chuck roast in place of the pork blade roast. Vary your toppings as you like- add some fresh jalapenos and spice things up!
Top Review by Beautiful Disgrace
I made this because I was catering a party and my client requested shredded pork. This really was an unbelievable recipe. I used a pork cushion (what ever that is) because that is what the mexican butcher recommended. I let it cook for hours untill the meat was just falling apart. It had the perfect flavor I was looking for and i will definitely make this again. Actually I HAVE to make it again since my husband didnt get to eat any and he wasnt too happy about that. It also made a very flavorsome broth which I froze for later use in a stew of some sort. Thansk Sue. Another winner!!
For the Meat
- 2 lbs boneless pork blade roast, trimmed of fat
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 3 fresh jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
For the Tacos
- 8 corn taco shells or 8 flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup taco sauce or 1⁄2 cup salsa (your favorite)
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1⁄2-1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sliced pitted black olives
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled,pitted,and sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Season and rub meat with salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, and oregano.
- Place roast in a large saucepan and add water about halfway up the meat.
- Add onions, peppers, and garlic to pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 1/2- 3 hours or until very tender.
- Carefully remove meat from liquid and place on a cutting board with adequate drainage.
- Allow to cool until you can handle it, then shred the meat with 2 forks.
- Set the meat aside and keep warm.
- Warm crispy taco shells for 5 minutes at 350F (if using) or warm flour tortillas briefly in a hot skillet until pliable.
- Build tacos on warmed shells or tortillas with some meat, lettuce, cheese, olives, sliced avocado, and a little salsa.
- Serve at once.