1/2 Photos of Shredded Pork Tacos
3 hrs 15 mins
Since my DH HATES chicken, I have to find different recipes for other meats. This is one I can't wait to try for pork! This is from Everyday Food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (3 lb) boneless pork shoulder, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 large chipotle chile in adobo, minced (about 4 tsp.)
- 1 cup water
- 16 corn tortillas, toasted
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- 1In a large (5 quart) heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the onion, garlic, thyme, oregano, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Cook until the onion has softened, about 5 minute.
- 4Stir in the tomato paste.
- 5Add the pork, tomatoes (breaking them up) and their juices, the chipotle chili, and 1 cup of water.
- 6Bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the meat is very tender, 2-2 1/2 hours.
- 8Discard the bay leaves.
- 9Using tongs, transfer the meat to a large bowl and shred with two forks.
- 10Discard any large pieces of fat or gristle.
- 11Return the shredded meat to the pan, and simmer until the sauce is thick, about 30-45 min more.
- 12Season, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- 13Spoon pork and sauce into toasted tortillas. Top with a little of the crumbled queso fresco and cilantro, if desired.
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shredded Pork Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 592.6
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 120.8 mg
- Sodium 401.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 32.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo