Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Makes a tender and delicious sandwich. MUST top with your favorite cole slaw, and serve on a burger bun. I recommend making a large amount and freezing half for another day.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 lbs pork roast
- Saute chopped onion and garlic in butter until soft.
- Add all seasoning ingredients to large pot and boil gently for 30 minutes.
- Add large cubes of pork meat (remove as much fat as possible) and simmer for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from sauce and cool.
- Shred pork with your fingers or two forks.
- Strain remaining liquid and add 1/2 cup or so of your favorite BBQ Sauce, if desired.
- Add shredded pork back to sauce and re-heat.
This was delicious. I had to leave out the mustard seeds because I had none, so I rubbed the roast with Bone Dust BBQ Rub and let it sit over night. DD, DH and SIL all agree it is outstanding! Tender, flavorful and a keeper. Thanks for sharing. NOTE: I used a whole pork roast in the crockpot on low for 8 hours for this.
My family absolutely loved this meal. I did drain some of the liquid cause to me it was a little to runny with the juices. I probably removed about 1/2 cup to 1 cup. I added about 1 cup of BBQ cause I do like the BBQ flavor. I also did not have liquid smoke but am planning on buying some. My family all voted it was a 5 star. Thanks for the recipe