Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an adaptation of a recipe from "30 Minute Meals". This is a mildly flavored chicken dish that isversatile and easy, simply stuff into taco shells, fold into burritos, or make chicken nachos--top tortilla chips with this chicken, some cheese, and favorite toppings and bake until cheese melts.
- Remove remaining fat and skin from chicken.
- Rub lime halves all over chicken and allow to sit to impart flavor.
- In a large pot, bring next 6 ingredients to a boil.
- Add chicken, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked (about 20 minutes, depending on size).
- Meanwhile, mix salsa, cumin and chili powder in a large bowl.
- Drain chicken until it is cool enough to handle.
- Add chicken to salsa mixture and shred chicken with two forks, stirring to distribute salsa and seasoning.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is nicely structured for some classic shredded chicken. I found I had to doctor it up a bit to satiate my taste buds. I simmered the chicken for an hour and a half. I also kept in some of the boiled base for flavor and added some cottage cheese to keep in the juice. Thanks for the recipe.
Tasty and easy! I'm not sure that the boiling part infused a whole bunch of flavor, it just seemed a little wasteful to me, I will probably just use water next time. Also, it was drier than I expected so I added more salsa. I liked it and it is very versatile and easy to make!
just got done making this for me and my hubby. we enjoyed it very much. i added a little bit more chili powder and used medium picante sauce (that's all i had on hand). he really enjoyed it and i will use this mixture next time i make chicken enchiladas.