Recipe by dicentra
The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors – Jeff Smith – Copyright 1990 He says: ”This is a very pretty dish, since the lovely white daikon radish is cut into very then strips and then pickled. The result adds both beauty and flavor to the plate.”
- 3 lbs daikon radishes, peeled and julienned
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 3 tablespoons korean red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup chives, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the daikon with the pickling salt and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain well and squeeze out excess water.
- Toss all the ingredients together.
- Put in mason jars and put lids on, but not too tight, so gas can escape.
- Leave them on the counter overnight, then refrigerate.