Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Crock pots are a wonderful thing and this recipe is a reminder of how convenient they are in any season. A variation of a pork roast recipe. I found myself with a thawed beef roast instead of pork, so some fancy footwork was applied. DH says the result is better than the original shredded pork. See directions for serving suggestions, or use your imagination. This freezes beautifully both as a 'dump' recipe before cooking or after it's cooked for reheating later.
- 1 (4 -5 lb) beef roast, trimmed of visible fat
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced thin
- 6 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- Rinse beef roast under cold water and pat dry. Place in crock pot. Pour remaining ingredients on top of roast.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Shred beef with forks until easy to manage.
- Serving suggestions: Serve over rice or mashed potatoes, on tortillas with taco toppings, or on a hard roll with cheese.
This was a good mild recipe. We didn't have onions, so we skipped them. I do not think having onions would change my rating. The onions would have added more flavor, but I was looking for more spice. The chilies lost a lot of their pop in the crockpot. The beef turned out nice and tender and shredded easily. Next time I will add a packet of taco seasoning, or some Rotel. I served this with soft tortillas and cheese to make soft tacos. Thanks for an easy dinner that I will repeat!