Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
The quintessential fabulous chinese chicken with garlic sauce, in china called chicken with fish sauce bc they use it on fish so often from barbara fisher.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch long thin strips
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic and red chile paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 bunch scallion, white and light green parts, minced
- 8 fresh water chestnuts, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 piece black cloud ear mushrooms, soaked and drained (optional)
- 1 bunch scallion, dark green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved into 2 tsp. water
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil (or canola oil)
- Marinate chicken with wine, cornstarch and black pepper while cutting vegetables. Mix together sauce ingredients: vinegars, soy sauce, wine, sugar, chili garlic paste and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Slice water chestnuts into shreds, about three pieces per slice. Trim any woody parts from the fungus and discard. Roll up fungus into a cigar shape and thinly slice crosswise to make thin ribbon-like shreds.
- Heat wok on high heat until it is about to start smoking, add oil and heat until it shimmers, then stir fry garlic, ginger and white part of scallion together for thirty seconds. Add drained chicken, and pat into a layer on the bottom of the wok. Allow chicken to brown lightly by sitting undisturbed on the wok for 45-60 seconds. Stir and fry until chicken is nearly done.
- Add water chestnuts, fungus and sauce ingredients. Bring sauce to a boil. Add cornstarch and water, boil until thickened and glossy. Remove from heat and garnish with green scallion tops.
This is very good. I have tried to write this review 3x and it keeps going away if you correct something. We followed the ingredients except for the black vinegar and the red chile paste. This is too spicey for the general population of our house except for DH & DS. Made for Newest Tag.