Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was formed when I didn't want to go grocery shopping, so I did an inventory of ingredients in my house, went to supercook.com, and found a recipe for chicken and spaghetti casserole. I modified it a bit, and here's the result. *Note... I just love the hearty/homestyle taste of this casserole. Cheesy, warm and oh-so-delicious. 8 chicken thighs (or 6 breasts) Olive oil Butter 1 small onion (or 8 pearl onions) diced small 2 cloves garlic, diced Salt Pepper **Cream of mushroom soup (approximately 10 oz) 4 medium-sized ripe tomatoes- diced 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper (optional) 2 teaspoons parsley (optional) 1 can of tomato sauce 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian cheeses (of your choice... I use mozzarella, Parmesan and asiago) 1 (10 oz) bag of frozen peas, partially thawed 3 tablespoons flour 12 oz spaghetti, broken in half (& cooked for 6-7 minutes)
- 8 chicken thighs or 6 chicken breasts
- olive oil
- 1 small onions, diced small or 8 white pearl onions
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 4 whole tomatoes (diced)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons parsley (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese (parmesan , Asiago and mozarella)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen peas, partially thawed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces spaghetti, broken in half (& cooked for 6-7 minutes)
- Thaw chicken.
- Butter (or oil) a large glass baking dish.
- Place chicken in dish.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter (or substitute margarine or oil) and slather on chicken.
- Dash salt and pepper on to taste.
- Sprinkle uncooked garlic and onion over chicken to taste.
- Bake on 425 for 20 minutes (while you’re cooking everything else).
- WHILE THE CHICKEN COOKS:.
- In a large pot, start water boiling for spaghetti, add a dash of salt and oil (cover for faster boiling).
- Add pasta and cook for 6 minutes, drain & rinse with cold water, set aside.
- In a sauce pan (or skillet), sautee onions and garlic in oil until slightly browned.
- Add cream of mushroom soup, stir.
- Add tomatoes, bell pepper, parsley, and green peas.
- Add tomato sauce, stir.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add shredded Italian cheese, stir until melted.
- Add flour, stir.
- Cover, cook until thickened (4-6 minutes) stirring often.
- ONCE CHICKEN IS DONE COOKING:.
- Bring chicken out of oven, set aside in separate dish to cool.
- Set aside dish to cool (& while you’re cooking, clean the baking dish, re-butter/oil it and use it for your casserole).
- Once chicken cools, tear it off the bone and shred it to the consistency of your liking.
- Mix chicken, sauce, and spaghetti together in casserole dish.
- Top with parmesan.
- Bake on 425 for 45 minutes.