1/1 Photo of Shredded Chicken for Enchiladas, Tostadas, Tacos...
This is an authentic filling used for Mexican dishes such as: enchiladas, tostadas and tacos. You can easily double the recipe, as it freezes well. I always have some on hand in the freezer. Use this in place of plain shredded chicken; and it will kick an average Mexican recipe up a notch (IMHO). COOK'S NOTES: 1 whole frying chicken, giblets and excess fat removed, can be used instead of boneless chicken breasts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 14.79 ml salt
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4.92 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4.92 ml marjoram
- 59.14 ml cilantro, chopped (or to taste)
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 29.58 ml tomato sauce
- 7.39 ml salt (to taste)
- 118.29 ml chicken broth (reserved)
- 1Place first four ingredients in a pot. Add just enough water to cover the chicken.
- 2Bring to a slow boil, cover, lower heat to maintain a simmer and cook until done, about 20 - 25 minutes. If using a whole chicken; cook approximately 50 - 60 minutes.
- 3Remove chicken from pot, let cool and shred. (I cool my chicken in the refrigerator to be safe) If using a whole chicken; remove meat from bones and shred. Reserve broth.
- 4In a large pan, melt butter over low heat.
- 5Add the remaining ingredients listed, except tomato sauce, salt, and broth.
- 6Sauté until soft, about 10 minutes.
- 7Stir in shredded chicken and briefly sauté.
- 8Add tomato sauce and ½ cup of reserved broth.
- 9Salt to taste.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shredded Chicken for Enchiladas, Tostadas, Tacos...
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 111.4
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 39.0 mg
- Sodium 1149.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 12.4 g