Recipe by JT'sMom
This is an authentic filling used for Mexican dishes such as: enchiladas, tostadas and tacos. You can easily double the recipe, as it freezes well. I always have some on hand in the freezer. Use this in place of plain shredded chicken; and it will kick an average Mexican recipe up a notch (IMHO). COOK'S NOTES: 1 whole frying chicken, giblets and excess fat removed, can be used instead of boneless chicken breasts.
Top Review by rebellemichelle
This was great! I actually ended up using the crockpot and had to modify it a bit because of that. I threw in 4 completely frozen chicken breasts, a can of petite diced tomato, one small can of tomato sauce, and half a cup of chicken broth. I cooked it for 6 hours and it shredded easily but next time I will cook it on the 8 hour setting so it cooks a little slower and infuses the flavour more. The chicken was delicious and moist and the sauce was out of this world! I made tacos with soft corn tortillas, guac, shredded cheese and sour cream with some Mexican rice. Amazing! thanks for the recipe I will definitely be making this again
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth (reserved)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first four ingredients in a pot. Add just enough water to cover the chicken.
- Bring to a slow boil, cover, lower heat to maintain a simmer and cook until done, about 20 - 25 minutes. If using a whole chicken; cook approximately 50 - 60 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot, let cool and shred. (I cool my chicken in the refrigerator to be safe) If using a whole chicken; remove meat from bones and shred. Reserve broth.
- In a large pan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add the remaining ingredients listed, except tomato sauce, salt, and broth.
- Sauté until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in shredded chicken and briefly sauté.
- Add tomato sauce and ½ cup of reserved broth.
- Salt to taste.