Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is courtesy of Bobby Flay and it is fantastic! It is very simple to put together but has wonderful flavor for such minimal effort. When in a hurry, I have skipped grilling/blackening the tomatillos and serrano and just sautéed them in a hot pan until softened and the skins were slightly charred and it still tastes great. I highly suggest you blacken them on the grill if you have time because it adds a beautiful smokiness to the tomatillo sauce.
- 6 tomatillos, husked, washed, and grilled until blackened
- 1 serrano pepper, grilled until blackened
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons honey (I usually only need 1 tbls of honey and add the second tbls only if the serrano was too spicy)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 8 blue corn tortillas (white corn will work too)
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- Add the blackened tomatillos and serrano to a small sauté pan and briefly sauté in a little olive oil over medium high heat.
- Place the tomatillos, serrano, onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and honey in a blender and blend until smooth. Place the tomatillo mixture in a large sauté pan. Bring the mixture to a simmer, add the chicken, and heat through. (You may also skip this last step and just drizzle the tomatillo sauce over the top of the chicken after you have placed it in the tortilla).
- Run the tortillas under the tap to lightly moisten them and then place the tortillas on the grill or warm non-stick griddle, and grill for 20 seconds on each side. Spoon the chicken mixture into the tortillas and top with some cilantro and a few tablespoons of queso fresco. Fold the tortillas in half serve immediately.
EXCELLENT!!! We really, really enjoyed these tacos. We'll be making these regularly. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
We LOVED this!
I LOVE this recipe!!! it's so pretty too when you can find blue corn tortillas!!! The leftovers are YUMMY on nachos!