Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a low fat delicate, aromatic broth. It makes a lovely light supper or can serve up to six as a starter. For this soup i use the whole chilli, including the seeds, which, when blended with the other flavours, gives it a wonderful kick. Make sure you use whole thighs with the bones in as this contributes greatly to the flavour of the broth.
- 6 whole chicken thighs
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 red chile, roughly chopped
- 4 cm piece gingerroot, thickly sliced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves
- Remove the skin from the chicken thighs and discard: Place the thighs in a large pan. Bruise the lemon grass with a rolling pin and crumple the lime leaves in the palm of your hand. Place in the pan with the garlic, chilli, includong the seeds, and ginger and add 1.5 litres of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked right through.
- Strain the stock into a clean pan, then using 2 forks, shred the meat of the bones. Return the chicken to the pan with the fresh lime juice, soy sauce and sliced salad onions. Heat through gently and when steaming hot, ladle into bowls. Loosely scatter over the corriander leaves and serve.