Recipe by BPerez0426
The mighty sandwich and all its glorious but redundant fillers. This sandwich is not only gourmet (so its awesome when you are trying to impress) but super easy and very different then your common ham and cheese! If you do intend on making this as a host(ess) it pairs lovely with a Reisling or Pinot Grigio. If individual focaccia buns cannot be found in your local grocery purchase the loaf of focaccia or semolina and toast both sides of the slices on the stove top to provide the crunch without making the bread hard. Also, I know that sun dried tomatoes in oil can be expensive (at least here in America) but I often find that purchasing the sun dried tomatoes themselves are cheaper so I generally with purchase a package (4 to 6 oz) place them in a mason jar and fill it up with good quality olive oil. Quality of olive oil is not based on price and find myself enjoying a 32oz bottle that cost $8 and comes with an attachable spout from Trader Joe's.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Enjoyed making this flavorful sandwich, & I did cut it in half for just the 2 of us! I was sure that the amount of salt would be way too much for us to handle, so cut that back even more, & used just 1 teaspoon of it for the half recipe! That worked just fine! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato, oil
- 4 slices soy alternative cheddar cheese
- 4 foccacia bread buns
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance natural buttery spread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the focaccia buns in half, lightly buttering the sides of them that have been exposed due to the cutting.
- Place lightly buttered slices on a cookie sheet (buttered side down).
- Leave the cookie sheet on the side.
- In a bowl, place the chicken with spices and oils and allow to marinade for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan place a small drizzle of olive oil to coat pan.
- Place chicken into the sauce pan leaving very little room, you do not want to sear the chicken but almost steam cook it.
- Cook the chicken for 8 minutes (dependent upon the thickness of your breast) and flip to cook the other side, continue cooking for 6 minutes.
- Remove fully cooked chicken from pan and place on a cutting board.
- Using 2 forks begin shredding (tearing) the chicken, placing the shredded chicken back into the pan with the drippings and oil.
- Place cookie sheet in preheated oven until buttered side is golden brown.
- Once all the chicken has been shredded and placed back into sauce pan, return heat to the sauce pan.
- Continuously stir chicken until most of the drippings have been absorbed or have evaporated.
- Place toasted focaccia bread on a place placing the hot juicy chicken on top with one slice of soy alternative cheddar cheese and enjoy.