Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
Don't let the bacon fat scare you off trying this delicious side dish.
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely shredded carrots (, 2 large carrots should do it)
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (green and white parts)
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Place bacon pieces in a four-cup glass measuring cup, cover loosely, and microwave on High until crisp, which will take 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 minutes depending on how strong your microwave is.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, crumble, and reserve.
- Stir remaining ingredients into the bacon fat in measuring cup.
- Cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on High until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with reserved bacon and serve.
- This recipe can be cut in half to serve just one, but cut back cooking time.
Made this last night for supper with chicken and potatoes. I was out of green onions so used dried minced onion, about 1 1/4 tsp. Lacked a little zip for me but my 15 month old enjoyed them. Trying to think how to spice it up a little?!