Recipe by Mille®
Good stuff! From the New American Heart Association Cookbook.
Top Review by CINDI_EEYORE
I must admit, when reading the ingredients in this recipe I was quite skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised with the finished results! The meat didn't have that traditional "fast food taco" taste, but it was deliciously different and both my husband and I liked it much better than regular tacos! Make sure you drain the meat real well before putting it on the tortillas though, or you'll have a very drippy taco! The leftovers were just as good (or better) the next day too! This recipe is a definite keeper... and I'll NEVER make tacos again with ground beef and powdered taco mix! :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs top sirloin steaks or 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin tip roast, all visible fat removed
- 3 cups chopped sweet onions or 3 cups yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 fluid ounces dry red wine (regular or nonalcoholic)
- 4 ounces reduced sodium ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tablespoon instant minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar or 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 64 inches fat-free flour tortillas or 8 low-fat flour tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Put meat in slow cooker.
- Add onions and bell pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together wine, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, bouillon granules, bay leaves, liquid smoke, ½ tsp cumin, hot pepper sauce and pepper.
- Pour wine mixture into slow cooker, cover tightly and cook on low setting for 9 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Shred meat using two forks, and return it to slow cooker.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Add ½ tsp cumin and sugar; let mixture stand for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Warm the tortillas according to package directions.
- Spoon the meat mixture along the center of a tortilla.
- If you want to add garnishes such as chopped tomatoes, salsa, shredded lettuce, cheese and sour cream, do it now.
- Roll and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve immediately.