Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Good stuff! From the New American Heart Association Cookbook.
Make and share this Shredded Beef Soft Tacos (Crock Pot) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs top sirloin steaks or 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin tip roast, all visible fat removed
- 3 cups chopped sweet onions or 3 cups yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 fluid ounces dry red wine (regular or nonalcoholic)
- 4 ounces reduced sodium ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced or 1 tablespoon instant minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium beef bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar or 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 64 inches fat-free flour tortillas or 8 low-fat flour tortillas
- Put meat in slow cooker.
- Add onions and bell pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together wine, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, bouillon granules, bay leaves, liquid smoke, ½ tsp cumin, hot pepper sauce and pepper.
- Pour wine mixture into slow cooker, cover tightly and cook on low setting for 9 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Shred meat using two forks, and return it to slow cooker.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Add ½ tsp cumin and sugar; let mixture stand for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Warm the tortillas according to package directions.
- Spoon the meat mixture along the center of a tortilla.
- If you want to add garnishes such as chopped tomatoes, salsa, shredded lettuce, cheese and sour cream, do it now.
- Roll and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve immediately.
I must admit, when reading the ingredients in this recipe I was quite skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised with the finished results! The meat didn't have that traditional "fast food taco" taste, but it was deliciously different and both my husband and I liked it much better than regular tacos! Make sure you drain the meat real well before putting it on the tortillas though, or you'll have a very drippy taco! The leftovers were just as good (or better) the next day too! This recipe is a definite keeper... and I'll NEVER make tacos again with ground beef and powdered taco mix! :)
Made the recipe exactly as directed. The flavors were wonderful and we loved it! However, next time I think I will skip the tortillas and just serve with rice or even noodles. Thank you for sharing! Not my idea of Mexican but amazing all the same. We will definitely make this again.
The house smelled fantastic while this was cooking. For the most part we really enjoyed this, but I did't like the sweet taste from the brown sugar (would make this again and leave the brown sugar out). Didn't have sirloin steak in my freezer, but did have a lean chuck roast. Very easy recipe - don't be put off by the long list of ingredients. Thanks for posting this Millie!