Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I discovered this dish while on the road with my best friend. We decided to share a plate and quickly regretted it because it was so great. I reccommend making the roast the day before if you can. This recipe can easily feed 10 people by doubling the pasta amount, adding another jar of marinara and serving with a couple big loaves of yummy garlic french bread. ** Remember recipes are guidelines please make it your own :)
- 2 -3 lbs lean chuck roast
- 1 (32 ounce) jar marinara sauce (not spaghetti sauce or pasta sauce)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 -3 large carrots
- 1 (32 ounce) box beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 lb pappardelle pasta
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy whipping cream
- italian seasoning
- fresh cracked black pepper
- onion powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees or get slow cooker out and set it to high.
- Season Roast with Italian seasoning, onion powder & cracked black pepper set aside.
- Chop 1/4 of the onion in a dice, chop 4 cloves of garlic set aside.
- Brown Roast on both sides in olive oil over Medium high until it has a nice crust then take it out and set aside.
- Place diced onion in pan and sautee for a couple minutes until almost translucent, then add the garlic sautee for another minute .
- Deglaze the pan with the Beef Broth getting all the yummy bits off the bottom.
- Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste and let it simmer for a couple minutes.
- Place roast in Dutch Oven or Slow Cooker and cover with Broth mixture and cook for 2.5 hours until it is fork tender.
- (This part can be done the day before).
- While Roast is Braising prep for Sauce.
- Slice remainder of Onion very thinly and it should be in quarters so there aren't long strips of onion.
- (if you don't care for a lot of onion texture dice very small).
- Peel and dice Carrots about the size of. large Peas.
- Chop 2 Cloves garlic.
- Saute Carrots on medium high in 2 tlbsp olive oil for about 8 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add onions continue sauteeing for another 8 minutes.
- Add garlic some salt and pepper and 1 Tlbs sugar keep sauteeing on medium low for about 20 minutes or so until they are almost caramelized then set aside.
- When Roast is done take it out of Broth and set aside to cool so it will be easier to handle when you shred it.
- At this point if it's same day skim as much fat off the top of the broth as you can then take 3 cups broth and put it in a Pot large enough to put all the marinara, Shredded beef and remainder of ingredients (put remainder in freezer/Fridge for later use in soups or stews) and let it simmer until it reduces almost by 1/2 this will help create a great intense flavor.
- (If you are cooking the day before put braising liquid in fridge overnite to let the fat seperate and remove fat that way.).
- Once braising liquid has reduced by half add marinara, vegetables and the canned tomatos to it, letting the flavors combine stirring frequently over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Put water on to boil pasta.
- Shred or pull apart Beef with your fingers getting rid of all the fat.
- Add cream to Marinara then add the beef and stir to combine letting it simmer for a few minutes while the pasta cooks.
- Once pasta is done so are you Serve and enjoy!