Recipe by Sharon123
A master recipe for shredded beef using your crockpot. Adapted from BH&G magazine. Enjoy! This can be frozen too!
Top Review by bmcnichol
This was good and easy to make. My roast was a bit smaller (around 2.5 pounds) but I left all the ingredients the same other then I did cut back the dry mustard to 1 teaspoon as one other reviewer did as I am not a huge mustard fan and 2 teaspoons seemed a bit much for me. Mine cooked on low in six hours. Made for some tasty beef.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 large onions, cut in thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from the beef. If necessary, cut beef to fit a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Place the onions, cut into thin wedges and minced garlic in the slow cooker.Top with beef.
- In a medium bowl, combine beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, dried thyme, salt, and cayenne pepper. Pour over beef in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 11 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5-1/2 to 6 hours.
- Remove beef and onion from cooker, reserving juices. Using two forks, shred beef, discarding any fat. Skim fat from juices.
- Add onion to beef, adding enough juices to beef to moisten.
- Place 2-cup portions of beef in airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Makes 6 cups.