Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
We love tacos around here, so this is a favorite. I have used the meat to make burritos and enchiladas too. This recipe also works well with pork. The house smells so good when it is cooking! Leftovers freeze great too.
- 3 lbs beef roast, trimmed of excess fat (I have used brisket, chuck, sirloin, bottom round)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (leave some seeds if you want it spicier)
- Place onion in slow cooker and top with beef roast.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over beef roast.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker, reserving juice.
- Use 2 forks to shred meat; mix in enough of the reserved juice until it is the desired consistency.
- Use as filling to tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, or nachos.
This was a huge hit at a Mexican dinner party I threw.i actually used stew beef, already cut into cubes but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Amazing flavor...I'm making this part of our regular dinner rotation.
Absolutely fantastic!!! I made this as written, using a 3 lb chuck/pot roast and the only change I made was to cook it in a pressure cooker for 1 1/2 hours, as I kept forgetting to start it early in the morning with the slow cooker. I don't work, so using the pressure cooker worked out very well for me. The photo I took is with the meat drained from all the juices, but I made this to freeze for individual and 4 servings bags, which I did add the juice to the bags. I can't wait to use this meat in tacos, flautas and chimichangas, when we get back from vacation!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for "Name that Ingredient Tag Game".
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yummy! We are appreciating more and more these days cooking dishes from scratch rather than using seasoning packets from supermarkets. This was definitely a winner in our household. Thank you.