Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Easy and delicious. From "Slow Cooker Favorites".
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed of fat
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 -12 onion hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Combine the onions, preserves, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Place the pork roast in the slow cooker.
- Pour the apricot mixture over the roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board; cool slightly.
- Shred the pork with 2 forks.
- Let the cooking liquid stand for 5 minutes to allow the fat to rise.
- Skim and discard fat.
- Blend the water, cornstarch, ginger, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the cooking liquid.
- Cook, uncovered, on high 15 to 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker; mix well.
- Serve on the toasted buns.