Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a widely moderated recipe from Cabbagetown Cafe cookbook, so different that I can call it my own. It's still got all the flavor and tenderness you could desire. Warning: you will need a food chopper or processor not to work hard to make this cake, but I think it's worth a lot of effort. :)
- Lightly oil a 10" round deep pan, and set the oven rack to middle of the oven position.
- In a food processor bowl, or by hand, chop the dates and pecans together until they look almost like crumbs.
- Put the chopped mix into mixing bowl big enough to hold all ingredients, probably a 3 quart or 4 quart size is best.
- Shred the apples, and add them with the lemon juice, softened butter sub and sweetener to the bowl, mixing well and coating the apples with lemon juice.
- Sift the flour with salt and baking soda, and add to the bowl, mix very well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared 10" round pan and top with cinnamon and sugar, blended together.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes, covering the top lightly at the 30 minute mark with a foil or parchment paper round if it browns more than you like.
- Test for doneness with a long pick in the middle, if still slightly gooey, turn off the oven and rest another 15 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes before turning out or cutting---it will crumble if cut too soon, but a serrated knife minimizes that.