Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Great for a picnic.
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 slices gruyere or 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 (4 -5 lb) boneless pork shoulder
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups beef stock
- 4 sandwich buns
- In the bowl of a food processor combine the salt, pepper oregano and garlic, and pulse until a paste is formed.
- Rub the mixture on the pork and let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pan over medium heat.
- Add the pork, and brown on all sides.
- Add the bay leaf and stock; bring to a boil, and cover.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the pork; let cool and shred.
- Spread the mayonnaise on the buns, and the cheese.
- Pile with the pork, and serve.