1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Yes, you read it correctly, this is shplo. No festive Bukharan meal is complete without Shplo. This marvelous rice dish, which generally contains onion, pieces of lamb and/or chicken, carrot slices, and raisins, is one of the most popular Bukharan dishes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups good rice, well rinsed,and soaked in cold water
- 3 large chopped onions
- 5 peeled carrots, cut into thin slices
- 2 lbs lamb, cut into cubes of about 1 inch
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 1/3 cup black raisins
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup oil ("or" melted lamb fat)
- 1In a large pot, try the meat until well-browned on all sides.
- 2Add onion and continue to fry another 5 minutes.
- 3Add 1/2 cup water, cover, and cook on small flame about half an hour.
- 4Remove from pot.
- 5Place half the carrot slices in pot.
- 6Add meat mixture (with liquid), salt, and pepper.
- 7Add remaining carrot, chickpeas, and raisins in that order.
- 8Sprinkle on the cumin, and place the strained rice on top.
- 9Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- 10Cover well and cook on a low flame for 45 minutes.
- 11Place on large tray in the reverse order as the pot: first the rice, etc.
- 12When available scatter pomegranate seeds on rice.
Nutritional Facts for Shplo
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.0
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 60.0 mg
- Sodium 164.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 23.4 g